The title is a spoiler. But the post is not.
I am going to review Harry Potter and The Cursed Child and it is the gazillionth review that is going to be written about the book ever since the release of the play/book.
To begin with, I didn’t have much expectations from the book. I mean, the story ended with book 7 and so, what could possibly be in a play that claimed to reveal what we already know about Mr. Potter Junior and his universe?
Also, I never read those fan-fictions as I wanted to preserve my memories. Of reading the novels under the sheet with a torch hours past the bedtime, of rushing to the library and nearest stores to get a copy, of being the first one to read it and later, brag about it in the friend circle…and I digress.
Let me put in points what are my thoughts on the book/play.
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child begins in a familiar yet unfamiliar universe, where the original trio are middle-aged. Nope. I couldn’t imagine them being middle-aged and all “parenty”. They were still teenagers for me.
- It was in a play format and very very difficult to read. Acts/Scenes…not my cup of coffee to be honest. Nope.
- At one point, the plot was very confusing. I didn’t know what was happening.
- Some of the plot twists, twisted my stomach because I couldn’t make myself to accept them. Nada. Scarred for life. Childhood ruined forever. Logic went for a toss.
- It was much ado about nothing really. But like I said, I didn’t have any expectations, so there.
- Favourite characters missing.
- Too much emo-moments happening. No thrills really.
- It still had the essence of the original books to a certain point. Loved the sorting ceremony.
- Return of favourite characters.
- The entire idea of traveling back and forth in time.
- Scorpius ❤
- Draco ❤ ❤
That’ll be all.
I wouldn’t give a thumbs down to the book, but it didn’t add to the legacy of Harry Potter. It can fall in the category of additional books like Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them, but not as the 8th installment of the series.
Would I recommend it? If you are a Potter fan, hell yes!!!